Friday, September 4, 2009

US Open in NYC 2009

Yesterday I went to the US Open (Tennis) with my 2 children and one of their friends. The US Open is a big NYC event! It is held in Flushing Meadow Park at the Billie Jean King Tennis Center in Queens. For so many, going to "The Open" (as it is commonly referred to in "in" company) is not about tennis, it is more about being there, being seen, telling everyone that you were there and of course, buying a t-shirt to prove to everyone that you were there. One thing that struck me, so many years ago, the first time that I went to "The Open" is the consumption. Open goers consume and consume and consume. I'm not even talking about the high end restaurants, some of which are reserved only for those holding "high end" tickets. I am talking about the food village and various kiosks all over the grounds. And then there are the Grey Goose and Heineken bars. One table of "tennis fans" who were getting very loud and rowdy were actually stacking their empty martini glasses into a pyramid.


So let me back up for those of you who have not experienced this NYC scene. The food court has every type of food imaginable; Carnegie Deli, Classic Burger, Crepes Express, Cuppa Spotta (coffee bar), Deli and Salad Express, Franks and Fries, Fresca Mexicana, Fulton Seafood, Glatt Kosher Cart, Grey Goose Bar, New Delhi Spice, Pasta & Pizza, Philly Cheese Steak & Tenders, and Sushi.


When we went to the food village for lunch, it was packed. We waited in line for 30 minutes to order our food (we ended up at the Philly Cheese Steak and Tenders booth). This was at about 1:30-2:00 in the afternoon. It was a sea full of "tennis fans". Lunch, which consisted of 2 Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches, three orders of fries and one order of chicken tenders and 4 waters set me back about $62. That didn't include the Ben and Jerry ice cream at $5 each and the extra water and Gatorade we drank during the day!


There were some "real" fans who brought lunch with them and ate in the stands. We had seats in Louis Armstrong Stadium. We sat in front of a group of elderly gentlemen. Clearly from their conversation I could tell that they had been at The Open many many times. I believe that they only left their seats for a stretch or bathroom break as they "brown bagged" their lunch. Not a bad idea!
So what did I do? I consumed! I ate my Philly Cheese Steak, Fries and Ben and Jerry ice cream. I didn't drink any beer or martinis as I was driving home and had in my care three minors. I bought my t-shirt and although this is by far my favorite NYC event of the year, I yearned for the Tuesday after Labor Day when I would happily march into my old Weight Watchers meeting and finally face the scale (aka pay the piper)!

No comments:

Post a Comment