Friday, September 25, 2009

No California Dreaming for this Girl!!!!



"all the leaves are brown

and the sky is grey

I've been for a walk

on a winter's day"


Did you ever have one of those wonderful days? Maybe something special happened to you; a special look from your spouse, a kind remark from your child, even something a stranger said in the grocery store? Maybe nothing in particular happened . . . . you just went for a walk on a winter's day.


I am having one of those days! There is that saying "Life doesn't get any better than this" - and it does not! I didn't do anything extraordinary today. I did go for a walk, with some good friends, on one of the first days of Fall and I must admit that Autumn is my FAVORITE season (and it isn't because the kids are back in school)! I have always LOVED the Fall. I think it is because I love the clothes, warm sweaters, boots and blue jeans. Maybe it is the prelude to winter; skiing and cozy afternoons (and nights) by a blazing fire.


Maybe it is because my Birthday is coming up. I love my birthday! It is the one day of the year when everyone wishes you well and everyone MUST be nice to you (even your kids and husband). I really don't mind getting older and admitting my age! I am going to be 47 (wow, it is different looking at it than just saying it). With age comes wisdom and a knowledge of who you are, where you have been and where you want to go! You don't have that at 20 or 30!


It is a day like this one that we must treasure and REMEMBER for when we have the opposite kind of day. We have to remember how good it feels to go for that walk (don't eat the jar of peanut butter - walk around the block instead) or talk to a friend (skip the brownie - pick up the phone) or how those jeans fit - not the big size but the smaller size that you have been dieting to get into! And in some strange perverse sort of way, it is all of those lesser than wonderful days that make this one so special.


"Start spreading the news, I'm leaving today

I want to be a part of it - new york, new york

These vagabond shoes, are longing to stray

Right through the very heart of it - new york, new york

I wanna wake up in a city, that doesn't sleep

And find I'm king of the hill - top of the heap"

4 comments:

  1. Well, today was a great day...and you are right, instead of eating something bad, go for a walk. But on those days when it rains, if we still fore go the brownie, or chips, we will still feel great at the end of the rainy day! We could always call that friend you were talking about. Support from a good friend means everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ❝A number one❞......that Frank Sinatra song brought back memories of dancing on table tops singing at the top of my lungs with a fake microphone of some sort in my hand-oh, the good old college days!!!!
    Today was a perfect day-I'm ordering a couple dozen more for the fall, just don't know who to call!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you really are gay. I love you to death, maybe I have to consider an alternative lifestyle to get closer to you. I'm not sure. I think hubby would miss me? Ok, I'll let you have your gay moment. Yes it was a gorgeous day, the birds were singing, the leaves are starting to fall and now my hip hurts from walking so far with a couple of very dear friends as well. I think next time, I'll take the bus and meet them at Starbucks for coffee! Oh, and by the way I LOVE COOKIES!!!!!!!!!! With the coffee of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. .•:*¨¨*:•Hi Nina•:*¨¨*:•.Thanks for the musical interlude! May I add…”Hooked on a Feeling?” Your songs got me thinking…..Changed the lyrics a little bit… “I’m hooked on a feeling…like minus 3, 4, or even 5 lbs at weigh-in; I’m high on believing that program is a lifestyle and not the damned d-word” I could go on but will spare you. Thanks for the smiles and inspiration. Happy almost b-day!!!

    ReplyDelete