Sunday, September 13, 2009

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck and walks like a duck . . . .

Then it is a DIET! 

According to Webster's Dictionary, diet is defined as: 1. to cause to take food, 2. to cause to eat and drink sparingly or according to prescribed rules.

I have pondered this for quite some time.  Many programs, particularly Weight Watchers, attempt to create an illusion that I am changing my eating habits towards healthier eating.  The journey that I have embarked upon is a life long promise to eat better, healthier foods and to exercise regularly.  If I do this, I will lose weight and keep it off "for ever".  A part of me has bought into this and believes it, completely.  Diet is a "bad" word.  Diet is a short term fix which when applied to obese people, like me, is merely a band aid being put on a wound which requires surgery (I like analogies).

The truth is, I have, for most of my life, eaten healthy.  My problem is the "sparingly" part.  When I have been successful on Weight Watchers, I diet.  I just don't truly admit to dieting to myself or others.  I use the words, "I am on program", as if that is my personal code.  Interestingly enough, when I am "on program" I use a lot of products designed to help people, like me, lose weight.  There are so many on the market such as 100 calorie packs of cookies, chips, or crackers.  Weight Watchers also has many products in the supermarkets and at their centers as well. 

It is different this time.  This time I am on a diet.  I am eating and drinking sparingly and according to prescribed rules.  I am not using "gimicks" like the 100 calorie packs (not that there is anything wrong with them).  If I am hungry and it is not time for a meal, then I eat a piece of fruit or some yogurt.  I eat when I am hungry, not because I have extra points or I exercised or I am tired or . . . . . . .

I am on a diet.  It is ok to feel hungry (a little).  It is ok to tell people that I am on a diet.  It is ok to diet!

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck and walks like a duck . . . . it is a duck!

3 comments:

  1. I love your blogs!!!

    What you write is so relevant to my 'diet' thinking. All your challenges are my challenges. All your pitfalls are my pitfalls. All the tests, all the truths and all of the insanity.....they're all mine but I have never taken responsibility for them. I try hard not to think of them but you've now made that impossible because you're putting it all down on paper. It's like reading the journal I never wanted to write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the whole idea behind the blog - shine the light on that demon!!! Maybe then we can overcome. Your comment made my day! Keep reading - and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to share an article with you. It was making the rounds on facebook, but I don't know if you saw it. I have to warn you it is a little disheartening, but good infomation. Basically it does come down to dealing with fridge demons, but I still believe in exercising.

    http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857,00.html

    ReplyDelete