Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I am brain dead . . . Is the summer over yet???

I like the summer but too much of a good thing is never good.


I am an "at home mom", so my year tracks the school year. When my kids are home I lose a lot of the structure that I try so hard to implement during the school year. I like structure. I like having a schedule. Sure, I enjoy those lazy days of summer, lounging around poolside or on the shore. I like a cold beer or Mike's Hard Lemonade and a juicy burger off the grill. But eventually all of those indulgences results in the state that I am in now - I am brain dead.

Let me explain. I struggle with my weight. I do very well during the school year because I am busy . . . busy running a household, busy volunteering for various organizations, busy going to the gym and Weight Watchers, busy playing tennis, busy taking care of my husband and 2 children. When I am not "busy" and I am just "hanging out" I am usually eating. That is what I do when I am bored. I cook (for example I'll make Pasta Carbonara for lunch) and I eat what I cook (by the way - I am a good cook).


This summer I spent 3 weeks in Italy. I have a lot of family there and I decided to take my kids to meet my relatives (Aunts, Uncles and cousins). My Uncle asked me "why do you Americans have an obesity problem in the USA?". Good question. The easy answer is "we eat too much". Now let me tell you, Italians can eat and they eat very Very VERY well! But . . . they really don't eat that much. And . . . (listen carefully) . . . they DON'T SNACK!!! They also don't eat junk. They eat food that is in season which also means fresh which also means unprocessed! My husband always says that our processed foods contains a lot of high fructose corn syrup which is what is making our people so fat. Stop and read the labels.


OK - so what has this to do with me being brain dead? Weight is the root of all evil. Start paying attention. Obesity has been linked to cancer, heart disease, diabetes, just to name a few. The bottom line for me is this - when I eat what I call "whole foods" - things that are natural and not processed and when I exercise, I feel better, I sleep better, I am in a better mood. When I eat "crap" - processed foods - and I don't exercise, I don't feel well, I become lethargic, nasty, tired, bloated. I don't look good. My skin gets blotchy at best and of course I break out at worst (yes, even at 46 I still get pimples). When I don't eat well and I don't exercise for a long period of time - I become brain dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment