Monday, September 7, 2009

Sushi Buffet!

My husband says to me the other night "Hey, do you want to take the kids out for dinner tonight?". Well, I didn't really have anything special planned for dinner and I certainly enjoy going out myself so "Sure, where to?".



We really enjoy Japanese food. We have a couple of local places that we go to fairly often. One of them is call Minado and it is a Japanese Buffet. It is a chain so perhaps you have been to one. The food is very good. The sushi is fresh. The selection is enormous. Except for really exotic Japanese Food, they have almost everything. So we pack up the kids and off we go.


We all eat a decent amount, after all, it is a buffet! I eat until I am full. I should be eating until I am satisfied but I rush right by that and arrive at full. And I am proud that I didn't go further and end up at STUFFED!

We head on home and after about an hour my husband says to me "I noticed that you ate a lot tonight. Are you eating more so that you can blog about it?" Wow! That is very interesting and very insightful and I am not entirely sure that it isn't true. But what I think is happening is this.

I am - I must stop this insanity. I'm not going to "start" dieting until Tuesday (ok, probably Monday) and by the way - I hate using that word - diet - but that is another post. So there is this gap between deciding to diet and actually starting. During this "gap" I feel like I've got to "grab the gusto" and enjoy while I still can. Like I'm never going to eat again. Isn't that silly??

So it becomes a ridiculous situation. Instead of having to lose "just" XX pounds, during this period I put on another 5 or 10. What am I doing? It is this strange mentality that so many foodies face. Sort of like "Oh well, I ate a cookie and blew my diet today so I might as well go out and eat an entire apple pie (alla mode of course)."

Maybe it is a way of making myself so sick that starting a "diet" (oh, there is that word again) will be a welcome change. In fact, I am really looking forward to eating healthy and in NORMAL PORTIONS! It is definitely something to think about! It is important to figure these things out so that when I eat the cookie I accept it and NOT EAT THE PIE ALLA MODE!

The bottom line is this - it is Monday - Labor Day. Although I don't like starting anything on a Monday (yes - that too is another blog), it is time to pay the piper. Wish me luck and read on!

4 comments:

  1. Oh boy, Oh boy, Oh boy. This is a hot topic on my nerves. Being somewhat of a gourmet cook, having weight problems all of my life from childhood on, we all relate to the current issues at hand. We all have our triggers, reasons, excuses, ups, downs and successes as well. The only thing I can suggest for trying to control one's own weight as well as the rest of the family is to allow eating out only once a week, and NEVER EVER, go to a buffet. Buffets are like feeding your leg to a shark. You are so teasing and tempting yourself to over-eat if there's little to no control (which when it comes to children and most people, such is the case or no one would be overweight). I feel that quality of food is jeopardized in any buffet because food is being produced in mass as well as sitting out too long (even if the place is busy and the food moves) and allowing other areas of interest to intervene and we won't go into those, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, you can't blame the blog if you eat too much. Is the fridge the demon or the blog?
    And tell your hubby not to talk about how much you eat. Doesn't that drive you crazy? I was eating lunch with my hubby the other day and I was so hungry I was shoveling in like a member of the Klump family. My hubby turns to me and says, "hungry?"
    I almost eat his head off.
    Good luck blogging baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can blame a lot of stuff for my eating! LOL!! But the buck stops here - wouldn't it be nice if more people thought like that? Take responsibility for what you do! What a novel idea!!!!
    Thanks for all of your support! You are officially my mentor! Keep on reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once read an article about Cheryl Tiegs in which she actually advocated "pigging out" the day before starting a crash diet stating that you'd get a bigger initial drop if you did. So - not such a novel idea really if you think about the fact that the article was published in 1980 Cosmopolitan magazine!!

    ReplyDelete