Thursday, September 16, 2010

Hips Don't Lie (and neither does the mirror)

A good friend of mine suggested to me that I read a book called Eating Awareness Training. According to the author, Molly Groger, one of the first steps to lasting weight loss is to live in the present and acknowledge and accept your body as it is right now. An exercise she recommends is to stand in front of a full length mirror, naked, and really look at your body, and accept where you are right now. Yes, I know, if you are like me, that is a very scary proposition. In fact, one of the hardest things I find when I finally return to the gym after a long lapse in judgement, is facing all of those mirrors!!! There is no reality check greater than my own reflection while I am trying to balance on one of those big balls while doing a pitiful “crunch” - OUCH!


So last night, I installed a full length mirror onto the OUTSIDE of my closet door. I’ve always had a full length mirror on the INSIDE of my door but since I rarely go into my closet - none of the clothes in there fit me anymore - I rarely saw myself in full view. In case you are wondering, yes, I stood there in my “birthday suit” and took it all in. To quote Shakira, my “Hips Don’t Lie” and neither does the mirror! Off to the gym!


Note: I am now on Facebook so if you want to friend “Fridgedemons”, just search for Christina Stefanik and friend the “little devil”!!!


2 comments:

  1. Oh, we are in the same boat sister. Mirror-scary, scale- scary, closet full of skinny clothes that don’t fit, too tired, food tastes good; my program is not only stalled but on blocks. Glad to hear you are back on. Looking forward to your amusing and inspiring posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I was thinking about you when I wrote about the closet full of clothes!! I can't wait to "go shopping in my closet". I even have stuff that still has the tags on. "If I buy this size 4 dress, it will inspire me to lose the 100 pounds I would have to lose for it to fit." Yeah right!! Well girl - hop on the wagon with me and lets ride together!!!

    ReplyDelete