Friday, November 20, 2009

Non Scale Victories

I have a confession to make. This past Monday, I weighed in at Weight Watchers. I lost weight - about 2 pounds. But when I saw my total weight number, what I weigh, I got really depressed. It was strange because I felt like all of the effort I put into being healthy and eating right and exercising should have resulted in a greater loss. My logic is - when I over eat and binge - the weight gain is always much bigger than 2 pounds. So, on Monday afternoon, I did what I have been doing my whole life when I get depressed - I ate. Luckily, since I am getting stronger, not only in my body but also in my mind, I was able to stop eating before it became a total free-fall.

I went back to my healthy eating habits on Tuesday and re-read the chapter on Week 1 from my "new" book Eating Awareness Training.

Thursday and Friday something really lovely happened. Thursday I took a spin class followed by yoga and Friday I took a yoga class. During and after these classes, particularly during Thursday's spin and after Friday's yoga, I felt stronger and taller than I have felt in a long time. My posture has improved and I feel like my abdominal muscles are actually tighter. I walk with my head held higher and my outlook on life - every day activities, even TRAFFIC - has changed. Something happened this week. Maybe it was the 100 forward bends I have done over the last two months. Maybe it is the miles and miles I have spun on my bike. Maybe it was listening to Simon and Garfunkel. I just feel so much more at peace and accepting of where I am right now in this journey.

I won't kid myself - that number still bothers me! But driving through McDonald's isn't going to improve the situation. I need to accept the number, embrace it and continue sticking my "rump" up to the stars in Downward Dog. I need to get on that bike and "ride like the wind" into the sunset. I need to fuel my body and mind with energy producing healthy foods, not junk!

So if you notice that perhaps I am a little taller today and perhaps glowing a little more than usual - well I am!


And that is what we call a non scale victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment