Thursday, November 5, 2009

No Antipasto for you!

I often tell my children that one of the most important things to have in life are options. No, not the financial instruments sold on the market, but everyday options. These can be as simple as many friends to choose from or sports to play or books to read. These options become particularly important as my children grow. The more major ones are such things as a choice of a college or eventually the luxury (these days) of having a choice of job or vocation.

I have been very fortunate in my life. Some might even describe my life as privileged. Don't misunderstand, I've had my share of tough times but I have also been blessed with a supportive husband, fabulous children, great brothers, even better sister-in-laws, good friends and many options to choose from. I was raised by a remarkable woman. She was the most intelligent person I have ever met. She instilled in me a belief that I could do anything. I am not kidding! I never believed in my entire life that any endeavor or goal was too great for me to achieve. The older I get, the more I realize that this belief is incredibly powerful and dangerous.

What my Mom did not teach me was that the ability to accomplish whatever I desired came with a price and that sometimes, that price was just too high. Options are very important but so is the ability to evaluate those options and make the best choice for ourselves. This choice may not be "the best" for everyone or in every one's eyes. However, it is the choice that will make us happy and allow us to succeed based upon our own standards. Furthermore, as important as it is to receive our peer's validation, we must also be able to provide ourselves with validation and acceptance that the choices we make are best for us.

I have spent a lot of my life "doing it all". At one time, it was important to me and the sheer accomplishment of whatever I was doing was enough. Over time, I have lost myself in this quest. I don't want to do it all. If I must, of course I can. I know that, my mother told me so. But the price is very very high.

So here I am, at the very beginning of the Holiday Season, 20 days from Thanksgiving and all of the hysteria that goes with those two months leading to New Year's Day. But this year will be different. I have many options, thanks to my husband and my children and my Mom. This year I will choose very carefully and wisely. My time is a precious commodity - one that becomes even more precious with its passing.

I will choose to exercise every day. I will choose not to bake 10 batches of cookies. I will choose to eat healthy every day. I will choose to give all of our teachers, instructors and coaches store bought gifts, not "homemade" ones. I will choose to take care of myself, my husband and my children. And on Christmas Eve, I will choose to be by my husband's side, reading "The Night Before Christmas" to my children and I will choose not to be running around the house finishing all of those ridiculous projects that I didn't need to start. I will choose to weigh less on January 2 than I weigh today and I will choose to be happy and well rested.

So, no excuses, no apologies and NO ANTIPASTO ON THANKSGIVING FOR YOU!

Happy Holidays!

4 comments:

  1. Amen! Well said. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm dreading the holiday cooking and eating also. I always put on weight btwn Halloween and New Years. I'm going to do my best not to forget the healthy options and keep going to the gym thru Dec. Thank goodness for spandex!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditch the spandex and buy yourself a tight pair of jeans!! Wear them everyday. That is what I have to do - my jeans are way too loose right now and I have to search in my closet for a pair that fits snuggly. This way I will be reminded not to eat! If I wear spandex, I am in for trouble!!!!!
    Thanks for the comments and please, keep on reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that you hit the nail on the head. All the rushing around leads poor food choices, and less time at the gym. - Sharon

    ReplyDelete