Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Honey, we have to talk.

Have you ever heard those words? Perhaps you have said them. These words are usually exchanged between two people who are in a serious relationship. Anytime I have heard or said those words, it has meant that the relationship isn't going very well. It means that I must make a change and it is going to be a difficult one (of course, if I am hearing those words then my partner is the one invoking the change).

I have spent a lot of time this week thinking about just that - Changing the relationship I have with food. I mean really really looking at how we (food and I) interact, the role that food has in my life. I have thought about the amount of attention I give to food and how often I ignore food. I've thought about how I use food to provide me with what I want but not necessarily what I need. OK, it sounds strange and you are probably thinking - "she has finally gone off the deep end" - but, it is true.

I've been to a clairvoyant woman a couple of times. Once she read my aura at a "Get Your Aura Read" party one of my girlfriends had. Once she read my Tarot Cards at Lord & Taylor. She is very interesting and the things she has said to me on both of these occasions really were significant. One thing in particular that she often says is something like this. "What ever you need, the universe will provide to you as long as you open yourself up and visualize exactly where you want to be in your life." Interesting . . . I happen to believe in this type of "stuff" and I have often thought of what she said.

So here I am, obsessing about food - my relationship with food - how if fits into my life - what I allow it to do to me - etc. etc. Then comes along my new favorite Yoga teacher and I begin to tell her about this blog and my "food issue". As if a black hole in the universe suddenly opened, she looked at me and said "I have just the book for you". And she did. (Do you believe yet?).

The book is out of print so if you want it, you have to order it online. It is called Eating Awareness Training by Molly Groger. When I read the introduction, I felt as if this woman wrote exactly what I have been thinking. The book really spoke to me because it is all about eating with your body and not with your mind. It is something I have been heading towards - listening to when I am hungry and eating (even if I eat beyond my daily points). Conversely, I also don't have to eat all of my daily points if I am not hungry. The writer also suggests that when I eat, I eat and not do anything else. I am amazed at how many times I eat without even thinking about what I am eating or enjoying the experience of what I am eating. In other words, when I eat, I should not be reading, watching TV, thinking about the laundry, thinking about my kids or my tennis game. I should be thinking about eating. This is some serious living in the present. Don't misunderstand me, I am doing Weight Watchers so I am always tracking what I am eating - but very often, when I eat, I am usually doing something else and shoving the food into my mouth, not really thinking about how it tastes or the texture or how I feel (hungry, satisfied, full). Instead, I should eat my meals as if I were a judge on "Iron Chef America". Believe me, it is a lot tougher than it sounds!

I'll keep you posted on how it goes . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment