Sunday, October 11, 2009

Who Turned on the Lights?

Something really amazing happened to me this week. I went out to lunch with a few friends on Friday to celebrate a birthday. We went to an Italian pizza place. Anytime I go to this type of restaurant, I always order a large salad with grilled chicken. This choice is one of my safe options. I order it very often and I really really enjoy it.

The girls ordered a pizza pie and a large salad to share. In WW speak, I asserted myself and explained to them that I was having a great week and I really wanted to "stay on program". Of course they were completely supportive. My very large salad came and since I was very hungry, have just completed an intense Yoga class, I dug in. Meanwhile, the ladies started on their salad when the pie was served.

Of course as most "ladies who lunch" know, we were chatting up a storm, eating and enjoying each other's company. During a lull in the conversation, one of my girlfriends said to me that she really admired my determination since I didn't even have one slice of pizza. That is when it hit me. I was sitting there at the table with the pizza pie right in front of me not even a foot from my nose. I didn't even notice the pizza because I was enjoying my salad so much and enjoying the company of my friends. Believe me, I love pizza. I could eat it everyday. However, for some reason, that day, I just didn't want it. The best part is, if I wanted to eat pizza, I would have. A slice of thin crust pizza is about 4 points. That with a side salad would have been fine for lunch. I think I was feeling so good about everything I accomplished this past week that I just didn't need the pizza.

I keep on trying to figure out how I got here. I wish I knew where the switch was. I don't feel deprived at all. I've been eating my chocolate (Lindt Chili) and I've been making some delicious desserts with apples (we went apple picking today). When I do eat out, I find great options. I don't even see the other stuff, I just choose from what I know is good for me and what will help me succeed. Someone flipped the switch!

I'm in the zone . . . . .

1 comment:

  1. My comment from the previous blog certainly applies to this one. It's at that lunch that I saw you in the zone. I know that zone very well. I have been in it many times through the years and wish it was as easy as flipping a switch. As of today, I'm not quite in it. I'll know when I get there. I feel it coming. But one thing is for certain...it's wonderful to see you in it!!

    ReplyDelete