Monday, October 5, 2009

Eye-candy has no calories!

I have a confession to make. I actually enjoy going to the gym. There - I wrote it! I know all of these people who really groan about going to the gym. I get a real high when I go to the gym. Of course, you have to belong to one that you like - a lot.


A couple of years ago my husband and I took the children down to Cancun Mexico for a spring vacation. We stayed at this small but luxurious resort hotel. The hotel had a gym and spa. It was wonderful. After I exercised, I went down to the spa for a dip in the jacuzzi and then a refreshing shower. When we returned from our vacation and I returned to my gym, I realized how nice it was to have those amenities. My gym barely had showers. This made me realize that perhaps it was time for a change.


Off I went to check out all of the gyms in my area. I found one fairly close to home. The minute I walked into the gym I got that excited feeling. I felt like I was on vacation. The facility was very big and very new. All of the cardio machines had TVs - something my old gym did not have. There were three studios for exercise classes and usually there were 2 classes offered simultaneously. There was a pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. Towels were always available and the gym also had a spa where I could get a massage. It even had a Hair Salon.


And . . . there was plenty of eye-candy!


Here is the definition of eye-candy: visual images that are superficially attractive and entertaining but intellectually undemanding.


My gym has a lot of young members who obviously get "dressed" to go to the gym. I throw on a pair of spandex pants and an old baggy T-shirt. But there are people who actually color coordinate their outfits - amazing. I appreciate this. When I'm on one of those machines, I start to get bored after about 15 minutes. I need a little inspiration to keep going.


When it comes to eye-candy, I am an equal opportunity observer. Yesterday I took a spin class with a male instructor. He is very funny, plays great music and is very easy on the eyes (i.e. good looking). He reminds me a lot of Keith Urban - my favorite country music singer, songwriter and musician.


Today I took a class called muscle max (free weights, crunches, lunges). It is taught by this woman who is in the most amazing shape (I'll call her J). Just watching her is inspiring. Don't get me wrong - I haven't "gone to the other side" - I just appreciate someone who is in great shape! And she is funny. She comes from the Dominican Republic. She is like the female version of the actor Hank Azaria. He played the butler in Bird Cage with Robin Williams and Nathan Lane. He was also in America's Sweethearts. Well, J is a dancer. One of her best classes is Zumba. I've taken her dance class and let me tell you, I was sweating and laughing my booty off and having a great time. I was definitely exercising at an anaerobic rate (I was wearing a heart rate monitor) and I needed to keep myself in check.


So now when I see either my Keith Urban look-alike or J's name on the list of instructors I actually get excited. That and a deep tissue massage keeps me coming back for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment